WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE/AFTER LASER TREATMENTS.
Laser Therapy Care
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to remove/reduce unwanted hair, with longer lasting effects than shaving or waxing.
Prior to coming for your appointment
- Please leave at least a few days worth of hair growth visible for your therapist to assess.
- Avoid applying any tanning products to the area of treatment for at least 2 weeks prior to any laser treatment/consultation.
- Do not expose the skin to UV light (sunlight or sunbeds) for 6 weeks prior to Patch test (during consultation) or treatment.
- Make sure your Therapist has a full understanding of all medical history, any medication taken.
- Don't take St johns wort while getting laser
- Patch test/Treatment can not be done while your on antibiotics or for a period of time after you finish them please ask for advise if you are taking any.
Pre care for Laser
Prior to arriving for your treatment session
- The area of treatment should be shaved at least 12 hours prior to treatment, unless otherwise told not too.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes on the day.
- Avoid alcohol the night before or on the day of the treatment.
- Arrive early prior to treatment so you are relaxed.
- Avoid applying any products to the area to be treated, keep the area dry and clean.
- Remember no UV for 6 weeks prior to treatment.
- No tanning products 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you've had any change to medication or have started a new medication seek advise prior to coming for treatment.
After care for laser
Protecting your skin after and between treatments.
- Avoid exposing your skin to UV light (sunlight or sunbeds) or self tan for at least 2 weeks after treatment. This is to minimise darkening of the skin (hyperpigmentation).
- Wear a minimum of factor 30spf sunscreen when out and about the sun/UV may be stronger than you think.
- Avoid heat treatments such as spas, steam rooms and saunas for 7 days.
- Avoid excessive scrubbing or applying pressure to the skin for 4-5 days. This is to allow the treated skin to recover and to prevent infection.
- Avoid shaving the area treated for 72 hours after your session.
- Avoid exercise for at least 48 hours.
- Avoid hot baths and hot showers for 48 hours.
- Avoid Swimming/swimming pools for 48 hours.
- Avoid make up on the treated area for 48 hours.
- Avoid the use of perfumed produts or bleaching agents for 48 hours
- Avoid scratching at the treatment area if blistering or crusting occurs, as this can cause scarring.
- Avoid waxing, tweezing and threading for the complete duration of the treatment course.
Heres what to do after your treatment and between sessions
- Do apply an ice pack to the treated area to reduce pain, discomfort or irritation.
- Do apply aloe vera, E45 or Aveeno for 3 days after the treatment.
- Do wear loose clothes to avoid friction on the treated ares for 48 hours.
- Do keep treated area clean and dry for 48 hours.
- Do drink plenty of water
- Do use at least SPF30 (preferably greater) sunscreen for at least 2 weeks.